By: iamAldonLopez | March 9, 2019
Ancient Siam (also known as Ancient City, Muang Boran) is situated in Samut Prakan Province of Thailand. This is approximately 39.6 km away from Bangkok. It’s more likely 1 hour 18 minutes by car. The Ancient City is an outdoor museum covering 240 acres. This place is considered the world’s largest outdoor museum. This museum correlates with the shape of the Kingdom, and the monuments lying at the correct places geographically. Most of the buildings are replicas of existing or former sites, whilst other are scaled down.
The founders were supposed to create a golf course with miniatures of Thailand’s historically remarkable structures spread around the course. However, they found out that some of the structures were sorely damaged; so, they decided to create new miniatures instead and save the original structures.
The replicas were established with the assistance of experts from the National Museum to guarantee the historical precision. It just shows how they thoroughly and exert effort for the reconstructing of these structures. With that being said, they managed to create a replica of historical monuments from all over Thailand.
As a matter of fact, there are over 100 ascended models or replicas of ancient ruins, monuments and buildings more covering at this wondrous site. In just one day, you can enjoy this stunning Ancient Siam all in one location! You can go from magnificent Dusit Maha Prasat Palace in the Grand Palace, Bangkok to the ruins of the Main Chedi of Wat Maha That to the Ayutthaya’s 17th century Sanphet Prasat Palace to ruins and palaces from the Hariphunchai Kingdom about 1000 years before it became Northern Thailand and so much more.
You can select to explore this outstanding outdoor museum by walk, tram or bike for free. Alternatively, pay a little extra to get the golf cart and drive around to save time and enjoy more. Just make sure you have your driver’s license with you. In my case, we rented a private car from Shangri-La Bangkok going to Ancient City. It cost 3,500 Baht including the entrance fee.
This Ancient City was built to serve as a tool to encourage people of the country to learn about the history of their own country. They aimed to make national traditions and culture which are the foundation of Siamese civilization know to the world.
Getting to MuangBoran
- Take the air-conditioned bus No. 511 (Pinklao-Paknam) to the end of the line. From there, take the mini-bus/songtaew 36. Drop off point at the entrance of the Ancient City.
- Fare: 60-100 Baht
By BTS Sky Train:
- From Bangkok take the BTS Sky Train drop off at Samutprakan or Kheha From there take the sontaew No. 36. Drop off point at the entrance of the Ancient City.
- Fare: 44-60 Baht
By Taxi or Car:
- Take the Express Way as far as the Samrong-Samutprakan Turn to the Samut Prakan Intersection and turn left along the old Sukhumvit Rd. (towards Bangpoo) until you get to km. 33. MuangBoran the ancient city.
- It takes approximately 1 hour 18 minutes if it’s heavier traffic than usual.
Open Daily from 9:00 AM – 7:00 PM.
You can contact them for more information at 023235099.
Location: Ancient City Siam, Km. 33 Sukhumvit Road Bangpoomai Muang Samutprakan
Entrance Fee: 500-700 Baht per person
There are some rules that you guys need to adhere such as:
- Dress properly
- Pets are not allowed
- Weapons are prohibited
- Aerial photography and videos recording are forbidden
- Make sure to maintain the value of cultural heritage for later generations’ educational purposes
Thank you for reading! See you in my next article!
Please follow, like, share and subscribe.
Thank you so much that you took the time to read my blog! I am so honored for your donations. It is all I can do to keep up and share more articles with you.